|What we liked |
- Clear criteria for referral to anaesthetist antenatally.
- Documented anaesthetic review and care plans in patient notes.
- Provision of OAA information leaflet to patient antenatally.
- Need to inform duty anaesthetist when patient admitted to delivery suite.
- List of equipment which may be required, eg large BP cuff, hover mattress, Oxford pillow, arm boards, long spinal needles, use of ultrasound to scan back.
- Use of CSE for potentially long, complex surgical intervention.
- 2 anaesthetists if possible, especially for GA.
- Avoidance of implying to patient that GA is unsafe as higher failure rate of RA in obese parturient so GA may be only option.
- Guidance on administration of GA including increased dose of suxamethonium, awake extubation.