OAA Trainee Competitions
OAA Trainee Cases Competition
OAA Trainees' Session at 'Cases and Clinical Challenges' Meeting 4th March 2020
Entries have closed for the 2020 Trainee Cases Competition. Thank you to all that have entered, the authors of the four entries that have been selected for presentation at the Cases and Clinical Challenges meeting have been contacted.
The OAA will be running the Trainees’ Session at the ‘Cases and Clinical Challenges’ Meeting on Wednesday 4th March 2020. We would like to hear from anaesthetic trainees who have an interesting or unusual case, which they would like to present.
A summary of the case should be submitted in accordance with the guidelines set out below. The authors of the top four case summaries will be invited to present their case as an oral presentation at the above meeting on 4th March 2020. A prize of £100 book vouchers will also be awarded for the best of the four case presentations. Please see attached for more information.
We look forward to receiving your submissions.
- Entries are invited from any trainee member of the OAA of grade CT1 – ST7 and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy emailed to the OAA Trainee Representative at Fiona.email@example.com
- The entry should:
- Be in the form of a Case Summary in a Word document
- Be a maximum of 750 words (including title but excluding references, author details & statement of patient consent)
- Title of case
- Details of all authors (Full name, Grade, Current Hospital, Email Address & OAA membership number if applicable)
- Summary of the case including management and outcome
- Key learning points
- A statement confirming the patient's consent to presentation/publication
- Introduction, case report and discussion. Reflection and learning points should be included in the discussion.
- References formatted as per the International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Maximum of four authors per submission. The first author must be a trainee who is available to present the case, if selected, as an oral presentation on 4th March 2020. At least one author must be a consultant anaesthetist who had direct or close involvement in the case.
- Written consent for submission of the case summary +/- oral presentation and publication on the OAA website must be obtained from any patients involved. A statement indicating that written patient consent has been obtained for the above purposes must be included in a separate paragraph at the bottom of the case summary.
- The case must be presented by any of the trainee authors but not a consultant at the ‘Cases and Clinical Challenges’ meeting on 4th March 2020 (subject to their entry being selected for presentation). The meeting registration fee will be waived for the presenting author and economy travel expenses reimbursed.
- It is acceptable for the case to have been presented as a poster or oral presentation at a local or regional meeting in the past. However, the case must not have been presented orally or accepted as a poster at any national or international meeting, including OAA meetings, by current or other authors. It should not have been published previously in a journal or as an abstract or other written publication.
- All submissions will be anonymised and judged by members of the OAA committee. Marks for the written entries will be awarded for case interest, management discussion, learning points and the overall quality of the written submission. The decisions of the judging panel are final and those entries which do not adhere to the above format will not be considered.
- The first author of the best 4 cases submitted will be contacted by the 20th of January 2020 to inform them that their case has been selected for oral presentation. Further details will then be issued regarding the required format and timing of the oral presentations.
- A £100 voucher will be presented to the winner of the best oral presentation out of the four chosen for presentation at the above meeting.
- Any further queries should be emailed to Fiona.firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission: Midnight on Monday 6th January.
Last Year's Winner
1st Prize Winner - Dr Tamsin McAllister -ST6, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford Deanery
Newly diagnosed cystic fibrosis in pregnancy
2nd Prize Winner - Dr Flora Kormendy - Fellow, Hillingdon Hospital
'Severe bronchospasm after induction of general anaesthesia for a category 2 caesarean section'
< Back to OAA Trainee Hub